Here are the reasons I love my mother:
1. She refuses to have email or buy a computer because “the internet is just a fad” and she’s “so over it.” She will never read this list.
2. She is unbelievably realistic and honest. In the south, I need more friends like that.
3. She still has her Wisconsin accent even though she has lived in Oklahoma since the 70s.
4. She is the most loyal basketball fan I know. I learned well.
5. She is a fantastic photographer, interior decorator, and art collector.
6. She taught me about religion and politics using folk music, but still let me go through a Republican and an evangelical phase. She told me she knew it was a phase. That’s still patience.
7. She always had those embarrassing bits of advice: “It hurts to be beautiful,” Don’t wear underwear with holes in it incase you end up in the ER,” and “One good thing about eating expired yogurt is that you might lose a few pounds.”
8. She loves to go to the casinos.
9. She is one of the most hilarious people you will ever meet. In a “funny weird” and a “funny ha ha” kind of way.
10. As a nurse at a nursing home, an ER nurse, and a member of AmeriCorps, she had the most honorable professions. Her influence of service will always shape my faith and my understanding of how strong a woman can be.
Happy Mother’s Day to all of you moms!